Irish Dancing in Germany :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
irish dance dress pattern
Posted by: Jeannine Bagshaw (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2003 09:20PM

Hello I am looking for a dance dress sewing pattern. Can anyone assist me with information on either where to get it or provide me with one? I have two daughters and want to make the dresss myself. Also where can I find some information on the traditions and meanings of such dresses and find out about the do's and don'ts while sewing them.

Thank you!

Re: irish dance dress pattern
Posted by: Karen (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2003 04:17PM

I found several places to get the pattern. You can check www.irishthreads.com or www.irishdancer.com. Simplicity also makes a pattern, number 9654 for a halloween costume of an irish dancer that looks pretty good. I don't know how old this pattern is or if it is still available. Hope that helps!

Posted by: Kirsten (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2003 05:17PM

Irish Threads is the best *by far*! Point to remember when ordering though: the sizes count on you having a B-cup at the most. I have a C, ordered one size larger and it fits perfectly around the bust. Just needed to take the waist in a bit.
The Simplicity pattern is no longer available. Plus, it's really just a fun costume. Don't buy this when you're serious about your outfit. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Kirsten (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2003 05:19PM

As for help: check out the Celtic Flame Irish Dance costume forum. Honestly, you'll need all the tips they have and they are fantastic to first-timers! [www.voy.com]

Posted by: dana kryzak (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2004 09:12PM

I am not a perfeshinl at Irish step danceing but am good. I am on gilles and I need a full wig light brown team dress green hands and hart. I am very very good at jigs and other steps.

Posted by: AnnaMaria (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:16PM

I have made over 20 irish dresses over the last 3 years starting out with the Irish Threads pattern. Just letting you know to be careful, it is quite expensive and has definite flaws, some seams are not matching up, I noticed just the other day that the girl's size 14 side back bodice pattern that I have has a really bizarre shape. It looks as if the person would have boobs in the back. By adding seamallowance only at the waist point bringing that point out by 5/8" the shape looked much better and the muslin I sewed looks much better.
The skirt pattern is quite outdated, that is the front panel is way too big and the whole skirt is sticking out way too much; when I asked the Irish Threads lady to send me a newer version of the skirt, she sent me smaller pattern pieces of the side back skirt and back skirt, no alterations of the front and side front skirt pieces where even mentioned. If you understand anything about patterns, you know that making only the back pattern pieces of a garment smaller and not the front at the same time screws up the whole skirt, like the sideseams move to towards the back. So if you use their pattern, make sure you figure out you skirt before cutting or appliqueing anything. You can do that by pinning the paper pieces together and folding the paper pattern into the finished shape of the skirt so you can see what it would look like when finished.

Posted by: Shirley Fisher (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2005 08:30PM

I am looking for a pattern for a solo dress. I really think I can make the dress, I just need a good pattern. Any and all help will be appreciated.
May God bless all

Posted by: amber (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2005 11:02PM

Posted by: Shirley Fisher (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2006 02:14PM

I bought a CD from e-bay that is wonderful. The lady has done an excellent job on the CD. The CD is called " A Guide to Sewing an Irish Dancing Competition Dress" the lady's name is Anita Moyes. She is located in Austrilia. I don't have her e-mail address handy, but if you are computer literate, which I am not, you could probably find it. If you will send me an e-mail I will try to find it for you. Good luck, may God bless, guide, and protect you and all your loved ones. Shirley

Posted by: mary cameron (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2006 08:26AM

Anita Moyes CD is great I can recomend it(made first dress started next one with its help) do a bit at a time and don't worry too much about next stage -it all works out-her site is called Dancing on Eire good luck-you dont need pattern except for bodice but that doesnt have to be specific to ID

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Confirmation code*:  You will need to recognize the text in this image.
Please enter the code from the above image:
Attach a file
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, bmp, doc, pdf
  • No file can be larger than 8MB
  • 4 more file(s) can be attached to this message
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.